Mr. Bowser is a partner at Roth Jackson whose practice focuses in the communications, technology, and privacy-law sectors. Working shoulder-to-shoulder with his clients, often entrepreneurs in the telecom and marketing industries, he helps them map out their strategies and overcome obstacles to achieve their goals. Trained as a litigator, Mr. Bowser’s practice has grown into that of an outside general counsel, as comfortable in a courtroom as the boardroom.
In the courtroom, Mr. Bowser has litigated cases and counseled clients in a wide variety of complex disputes, including individual and class-action cases arising out of contract, tariff, commercial tort, consumer-protection, privacy laws, and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act in particular. Mr. Bowser has tried cases in federal and state court, and helped clients reach key victories through briefing at both the trial and appellate levels.
Outside the courtroom, Mr. Bowser advises numerous emerging telecommunications companies, helping them navigate regulatory hurdles from initial registration, to on-going compliance and regulatory advocacy, to complex dispute resolution. He also drafts and negotiates a wide variety of contracts, such as telecommunications/ISP service agreements, software/platform/infrastructure-as-a-service agreements, and reseller and marketing agent agreements.
In addition to defending clients in individual and class-action litigation throughout the country, he provides counseling to mitigate the litigation risk, including auditing marketing campaigns, developing compliant website and consent-based opt-ins, and preparing terms of service for direct-marketing campaigns that implicate the TCPA and related marketing and privacy laws. Having litigated many of these issues, Mr. Bowser knows where the proverbial mines are, and helps his clients sidestep them.
University of Virginia School of Law (Editorial Board, Virginia Journal of Law and Technology) (J.D., 2003)
University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1999)
Awards & Honors
Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars magazine, Top Rated Communications Attorney in Washington, D.C. – 2013
Virginia State Bar
District of Columbia Bar
Maryland State Bar
Recent Speaking Engagements
• Regularly released TCPA Case Studies with Tatango CEO, Derek Johnson, available on YouTube at https://bit.ly/2sAP1SS
• “The FCC, VoIP, and Unified Communications,” KazooCon, San Diego, April 2018
• “TCPA Takeaways from 2017,” Webinar with LiveVox, Inc., December 2017
• “Updates from the Bar: How the Courts are Affecting Customer-Contact Operations and Vice Versa,” PACE TCPA Washington Summit, Washington D.C., September 2017
• “Updates from the Bar: TCPA Defense Counsel Discuss the Latest Trends in the Courts,” PACE Webinar, July 2017
• “Privacy and Compliance Red Flags,” PACE Webinar, October 2016
• “The FCC’s Regulatory Framework for Unified Communications and VoIP,” KazooCon, San Francisco, October 2016
• “Privacy and Compliance Red Flags,” PACE TCPA Washington Summit, Washington D.C., September 2016
• “A Primer on Telecom Law for VoIP Providers,” KazooCon, San Francisco, November 2014
(804) 441-8701 (direct)
(804) 441-8440 (main)
(804) 441-8438 (fax)